2018 Lenten Activities
In addition to choosing their own practices of penance and sacrifice, Catholics are also asked to observe the practices of fast and abstinence during the 40 days of Lent.
The Lenten Fast and Abstinence Regulations are as follows:
- Everyone 14 years of age or over is bound to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and all the Fridays of Lent.
- Everyone 18 through 59 years of age is bound to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, though all are highly encouraged to do so, health permitting.
- On Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, only one full meatless meal is allowed. Two other smaller meatless meals, sufficient to maintain strength, may be taken according to each one's needs, but together they should not equal another full meal. Eating between meals is not permitted on these two days, but liquids, including milk and fruit juices are allowed. When health or ability to work would be seriously affected, the law does not oblige.
Ash Wednesday Mass Times (Wednesday, February 14th)
All Saints - 7:30 am, St. Francis - 7:30 am, St. Andrew’s - 8:00 am, St. Francis - 9:00 am, St. Joseph’s Hospital - 12:00 pm, St. Francis - 5:30 pm, St. Andrew’s - 5:30 pm, All Saints - 7:00 pm, St. Mathias 7:00 pm
- St. Mathias : Lent books for both adult and kids available at the entrances of the church. They are donated by the St. Mathias CCW and are free. Free will offerings accepted, but NOT required.
- St. Andrew’s : Lent books, compliments of the St. Andrew’s CCW, are available at the back of Church free of charge.
Use them as a prayer tool to help you become closer to Christ this Lent.
Lenten Daily Mass Changes
During Lent we will have a 5:30 pm Mass Wednesday evenings at St. Andrew’s. Therefore, we will not have our usual 8:00 am Daily Mass Wednesday mornings after Ash Wednesday through Lent.
We will also be having a 5:30 pm Mass Thursday evenings at St. Mathias. starting March 9th. Therefore, we will not have our usual 8:30 am Daily Mass Friday mornings at St. Mathias through Lent.
Brainerd Lakes Lenten Activities
- St. Andrew’s Mass/Soup Supper /Talks: Thresholds of Conversion: How to Make Disciples. Wednesday, February 21st through March 21st please join us at St. Andrew’s for Mass at 5:30 pm, hearty soup to follow, and a speaker at 7:00 pm. (Confessions will be available at 4:30 pm). This year our speakers will share How to Make Disciples. We are called to share the faith with our friends, in our families and in our world; yet the thought of evangelizing can make us uncomfortable. It doesn’t have to. Come learn about five stages of conversion (grappling and decision-making) people go through before becoming disciples. Learn how to gently help someone with each step on that journey. It might be less awkward and more exciting than you’d think. See you Wednesdays!
- St. Mathias’ soup suppers/Stations of the Cross:Our Lenten Soup Suppers will begin Thursday, February 22nd and will continue through March 22nd. Please join us for Mass at 5:30pm, soup to follow and then Stations of the Cross in the church at 6:45 pm.
- St. Francis & All Saints Stations of the Cross: Please join us every Friday during Lent at 5:30 pm for Stations of the Cross at St. Francis & 7:00 pm at All Saints Churches
- St. Francis School Fish Fry Fridays: Dinner is served from 4:30-7:00 pm every Friday during Lent in the basement of St. Francis Church. Carry out option is available. PRICES: Adults - $10 & Children (11 & under) - $5